Visit me @

http://cookingwithsj.com or http://facebook.com/cookingwithsj and explore more of my recipes!!! :)

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Achari Bhindi

As a kid, I hardly liked any veggies in my meals... But bhindi was always in my list of favorites :) Mum never tried feed anything forcefully, but she always cooked so tasty that turned many of my dislikes into super-likes!!!  

I love the most When it comes to pick fresh bhindis from baskets at veggie market! Even back in India, whenever my mum asked me to bring veggies from market, I never missed getting bhindis :P Luckily, my hubby loves it too so I cook it often... everytime with a variation!!! 

'Achari bhindi' has been a superhit dish in my kitchen, quite on the same level of 'Qorma Bamia'! Mixture of all tastes n flavors... Spicy, tangy, Crispy bhindi with amazing aroma of pickle masala n kasoori methi!!! Wanted to try this since long... Finally my hubby cancelled out my plan to make black chickpeas curry, I prepared this super-delicious 'Achari Bhindi' :)



INGREDIENTS:

250 gm Baby Okra (bhindi)
1 Chopped Onion
1 Chopped Tomato
1 tsp Ginger-Garlic paste
1/2 tsp Red chilly powder
1/2 tsp Garam Masala
1/2 tsp Amchur powder
1 tsp Coriander powder
1 tsp Crushed Kasoori Methi
1/2 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
1/2 tsp Fennel seeds
1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
1/4 tsp Ajwain seeds
A pinch of Hing
2 tbsp Cooking Oil
Salt, to taste

STEPS TO FOLLOW:

- Wash, pat-dry and trim bhindi. Thaw it first if frozen. 
- Heat 4 tbsp oil in a deep vessel and shallow fry these bhindis. 
- Keep around 2 tbsp of oil in the same pan. 
- Add all 4 seeds into it and saute it till mustard seeds stops spluttering.
- Mix chopped onions and ginger-garlic paste into it and cook it till onions are translucent. Add chopped tomatoes then after and cook it for 1-2 mins till they are soft and tender.
- Add shallow-fried bhindi and all the remaining spices. Mix everything well and cook it for 4-5 mins.
- Turn the heat off and add lemon juice, chopped coriander leaves into it. 
- Serve hot with Phulka Roti!!!


SJ's NOTE:

- Optionally, you can add a little masala of mango pickle too for more flavors! 
- Here are some more dishes of 'Bhindi', I posted previously:


Linking this dish to Arthi's Curries n Gravies Event:



8 comments:

  1. Looks yum Shrutii loved this when tasted at a resturant

    ReplyDelete
  2. flavorful and delicious bhindi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delecious okra yaar, thanks for linking :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice click yaar, luv the okra cooked in achari style :) thanks for linking

    ReplyDelete
  5. dear sj..made this dish for my husband who likes bhindi..n he absolutely luvd it..thnx a lot

    ReplyDelete
  6. dear sj.. made this dish for my husband who likes bhindi..n he luvd it..thnx sooo much..

    ReplyDelete

Like & Share