Posting on behalf of a non-blogger to link up with my ongoing event 'Bachelor Cooking' :)
Participant Name: AKSHU
Vegetable stew is a simple and easy to make side dish for Appams,chappatis and dosas.Being a keralite dish,it gives a real flavourful treat for all vegetarians.Cocunut milk used in this curry adds in the richness and make it creamy to
taste.With all vegetables into it,this curry stands as a tri colored healthy and delicious to eat in our Independence day celebration.
Preparation & Cooking Time: 15 mins + 10mins.
Servings: 3-4 persons
Potato (chopped) 1 cup (2 med. Size)
Carrot (chopped) ½ cup(1 small size)
Green peas (frozen) ½ cup
Curry leaves Hand full
Onion (sliced) 1 big
Green/Red chilli (slit) 4 nos small size
Ginger (sliced) 2 inch stick
Cocunut Milk 1 cup
Second Cocunut Milk 1 ½ cup
Corrainder Leaves 1 tbsp chopped
Vinegar/Lemon juice 1 tbsp
Cashew nuts 1 tbsp
Cocunut Oil and Ghee 2 tbsps and 1 tbsp
Pepper powder ½ tbsp
Garam Masala powder 1 tbsp
Salt To taste
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
To get ready with veggies ;
- Wash clean and cut the Potato & carrot into small cubes.Onion into thin slices.
- Cut the Ginger and redchillies into 1 inch thin stripes.
- Take a wide bottomed pan and heat 2 tbsps of oil. Add sliced Onion,ginger,redchillies and curry leaves into it.Saute it for 3minutes until colour changes to golden brown.
- Now add the pepper and garam masala powder into it and roast it well on a medium flame.
- Then add the chopped potatoes,carrot,green peas and salt required into the pan. Mix it well and cook the veggies with the steam keeping the lid closed for 5minutes.
- Once the vegetables are cooked in the oil and steam.Open the lid and mix it well.
- Now add the second cocunut milk into it and stir until it thickens.
- Later add first cocunut milk and stir well for 2 minutes.Add the vinegar or lemon juice and switch off the stove.
- In another pan heat 1tbsp of ghee and roast the cashewnuts until golden brown.
- Now add the roasted cashews into the curry along with chopped corrainder leaves.Mix it.
- Transfer the curry to a serving bowl.
- Serve it hot with Vellappams,chappaties or dosas.
- Cook the vegetables in oil added itself as it gives a roasted flavour (no water needed).
- Add the cocunut milk only when the vegetables are cooked.
- Vegetables like beans,cauliflower can also be included.
- Always the quantity of potato should be more than other vegetables.
- Thick cocunut milk when used will make the stew more rich and tasty.